Finance for Non Finance Directors: Financial Business Management Tools and Financial Business Concepts for non-finance executive and non-executive directors
This course will provide essential knowledge of the key financial management issues and concepts needed by all Directors, Consultants or current or aspiring Non-Executive Directors in order to be effective members of the boards of private, public or not-for-profit organisations in today's demanding financial environment.
The successful completion of this course will provide attendees with a sound financial understanding and the practical knowledge of how and when to apply those skills within their own businesses backed by a theoretical financial knowledge base
Who should attend?
Directors, Consultants or current or aspiring Non-Executive Directors needing to develop their financial understanding, skills and knowledge base within the areas of strategic financial management, corporate financial analysis, financial planning and business restructuring, to become more:
- effective in Board financial discussions, business acquisitions and evaluations;
- credible and comfortable with investors when discussing financial matters;
- confident using financial terms and when explaining the financial implications of a chosen business strategy;
- adept at discussing the financial implementation of management changes or consultant recommendations.
Course Content; this course will:
- Explain how to read and understand the balance sheet and profit and loss account of any business, including amongst many others the use of EBITDA, Enterprise Value, Current Ratio, Liquidity Ratio, ROCE and NAV
- Define and explain the key valuation techniques commonly used in valuing business acquisitions or disposals
- Discuss and explain the use of the commonly accepted key ratios in the analysis of any set of accounts, with practical worked examples
- Define and explain the main financial terms used in the discussion and analysis of financial statements in the evaluation of a potential business partner, acquisition or disposal
- Explain the difference between statutory accounts and management accounts, and highlight the costs and benefits of producing those accounts
- Clearly show the differences, in financial and business terms, between managing for profit and managing for cash and explain the main benefits and dangers of each approach by examining the implications of common practices within different sectors
- Explain and discuss the benefits and dangers of high leverage versus low gearing and the consequential impact upon the financial performance of a business, providing insights into the key business drivers behind highly leveraged companies
- Define and discuss the financial terms used by Banks, Venture Capitalists, Business Angels and other sources of finance. This will encompass a consideration of the likely costs and benefits of the various capital sources.
- Identify and explain the key factors involved in raising new Share Capital for SMEs and new companies
- Discuss and explain Key Performance Indicators, including an introduction to the Balanced Scorecard, Activity Based Costing, ABC, and Zero Based Budgeting
- Clearly identify and explain the key components of the Public Sector Budget, the budget deficit, the national debt and the overall state of the economy and its relationship to the Public Sector Budget.
- Identify and discuss the key drivers behind the recent UK and Global banking crises
- Give an overview and discussion of the fundamentals of the UK business taxation regime, through the interaction of corporation tax, income tax, national insurance and capital gains tax; including the primary grants and reliefs relevant to directors and likely to be considered at Board level
Course Objectives; this course will:
- Enable you to communicate more effectively and easily with Finance Directors, other directors, accountants, advisors, consultants, bankers, venture capitalists, business angels and other providers of finance; through an in depth understanding of financial terminology and financial management and evaluation techniques
- Allow you to read and instantly analyse and interpret any set of Financial Statements by using the techniques and knowledge gained on this course
- Provide you with the knowledge and tools to assess the financial value and viability of a company or a project
- Enable you to choose between the competing types of capital and operational funding, through a sound knowledge and understanding of their likely financial costs and benefits
- Allow you to recognise and understand the underlying impact on any set of accounts of the generally accepted accounting principles
- Enable you to identify and discuss the key financial issues facing most Boardrooms today
- Provide you with the financial knowledge necessary to properly identify the roles and boundaries of financial professionals within an organisation
- Enable you to apply accepted financial techniques and tools to any potential course of action including: capital investment; new products or projects; corporate acquisitions or disposals; or any form of business expansion
- Provide the necessary contextual knowledge and understanding of the wider UK economic and commercial regime and its interaction with taxation, to enable a better contribution to key discussions and decision making amongst directors and within the Board
- Support strategic decision making with sound financial understanding
Philip Arnold FCA, FIC, CMC, BSc Hons, Chartered Director
Philip Arnold is the Senior Partner in Quantum Consulting Accountants and has been a Finance Director for several companies, including a Venture Capital backed start-up. He is also an investor in a number of SMEs.
He holds the Institute of Directors' Chartered Director qualification and is an FCA with over 18 years of Board level experience as a Finance Director and Chief Executive Officer, including 7 years with a PLC.
He has an entrepreneurial background combined with a solid blue chip experience base, having spent 13 years with blue chip organisations. Philip has started companies, helped to raise £million plus Share Capital, and has also bought and sold businesses.. See his LinkedIn profile here: (http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/philip-arnold/20/981/b36)
Duration: 1 day
Advanced Business Solutions
5G Milton Park
£350.00 (ex VAT)
Early Bird Discount Price
£315.00 (ex VAT)
To see course dates and to book your place now follow this link:
The fee includes lunch, refreshments and a copy of the course handbook
Attendance counts as 6.5 verifiable CPD hours of structured learning which count towards the requirements of most business focussed institutes, including the Institute of Directors, the Institute of Consulting, the Chartered Management Institute, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and many others. After successful completion of the course, you will receive an electronic Certificate confirming that you have successfully completed the course, detailing the outcomes and results.
Courses can be delivered 'in-house' to a group of Board Directors - to find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 350345